Have you ever gone phone shopping right here in our beloved twin republic? Not do we lack customer service and actual mobile experts (click here to learn why that matters) but we are forced to pay exorbitant prices for devices. I mean really have you seen the costs for phones in Digicel, B-Mobile or the Samsung store?
Now I remind everybody, that even though these companies set the prices for their devices at a certain level, you are in no way shape of form obligated to purchase from them.
So we compiled the top 5 reasons why you need to import your next device and save yourself some headache and money.
1) Costs of Devices – Well I do not think anybody will disagree on this. Now I get that B-Mobile and Digicel need to entice you to sign onto their monthly plans and give you a reduction on the phone.
But sheesh, in order to get a decent discount, you must sign up for the higher monthly plans. It is still cheaper to order the devices online even with taking the discount from their highest plan. For example, let us look at one of the best phones of last year the Nexus 6p.
With Digicel’s XL monthly plan you must spend $450/monthly and you will receive the device for $3499ttd. That works out to $5400/year. If you go Ebay right now, you can pick up the same device for $2900 and that is without a stipulated monthly service plan.
Better get your credit card ready.
2) Lack of Mobile Expertise – Now usually one of the biggest reasons you would go ahead and head down to your local phone store, is to purchase from an expert.
After all, you may not know what you need or what is even out there, and a mobile expert shall identify your needs and break it all down for you in layman’s terms.
I cannot tell you a number of times I have witnessed reps either just tell a customer they don’t know or hand them a spec sheet and let the customer read it.
So not only do we have to pay high phone costs, but now we don’t even get the expertise to help us along with our purchase.
May as well order online.
3) 7% Tax – You are probably wondering why this may be a reason to order your next device online. Well, most of the retailers are going to be hit with the 7% tax as well, further increasing the costs of the products on the shelves.
If you were to purchase it yourself, it still ends up being cheaper than buying it locally anyway, just saying.
4) Wider Range of Devices – Typically here in T&T, we follow whatever happens in the USA for all of our mobile needs. Problem is that all the manufacturers outside of Apple and Google are all based in Europe.
What that means for us is that there are many devices that will never sniff the shores of the US. Devices that are on the same level as your typical Samsung S-series or HTC devices, that the US does not get.
Purchasing online will allow you to get some of those amazing devices from the likes of Oneplus, LeEco, Xiaomi, Huawei, Zte, to name a few.
5) Force retailers to change bad habits – To me, this is the most important reason to start purchasing your products online. We the consumer allow retailers to continue with their bad habits of not providing value, service and have them earn our money.
If we began to change our spending habits and stopped entering through these retailers doors, it would force them to have no choice but to change and cater to consumers.
It’s either that or risk sales and possibly closing down their business.
We have the power to change retailer behavior if we decide to purchase our products elsewhere.
Will you be part of the wave of consumers purchasing your device online? If there are any other reasons why you would purchase online, let us know in the comments.